What is the Derbyshire Health and Social Care Talent Academy?
This is a new partnership of Derbyshire and Derby City health and social care organisations working together to:
- Increase the number of people entering the health and social care workforce
- Ensure people have the right skills and values
- Train and develop future and existing workforce
- Increase the profile of employment opportunities
- Enhance Engagement and Communication
- Support traineeships and work experience
- Build up apprenticeships
This is linked to the Sustainability & Transformation Programme.
Through consultation and discussion we have identified three key priority areas to focus on.
The three priority areas are:
Attraction and Recruitment
Traineeships and Apprenticeships
Retention and progression
What are we doing?
- Developing a pilot integrated health and social care worker apprenticeship scheme.
- Providing specialist careers advice and support for young people looking to enter the health & social care sector.
- Increasing the profile of careers in Health & Social Care and engaging with schools and other education providers, Job Centre and relevant partners.
- Supporting career progression and skills development of existing workforce within Health & Social Care.
- Increasing the number of work experience and apprenticeship opportunities across health and social care.
- Promoting the wide variety of roles and career pathways available across the sector and at all levels.
- Supporting the private, voluntary and independent sector with attraction, recruitment and retention.
Why are we doing this?
The future supply of the health and care workforce has been identified as a critical issue for future service delivery across Derbyshire and Derby City, where the current population of just over 780, 000, one in five are aged 65 or over (a higher proportion that in England overall).
The over 65 year’s population is projected to grow at 2% year on year for the next 5 years.
Therefore, we are actively working as part of the Derbyshire Sustainability and Transformation Plan (STP), to ensure a robust and flexible workforce able to meet the future demands of health and social care needs. This will include coordinating services better so they support people to stay well.
Useful links from our partners
Whether you are a student , teacher, employee, … and are interested in the work delivered by the Talent Academy, please don’t hesitate to get in touch email: