Infection prevention and control - introduction
Joined Up Care Derbyshire recognises the impact that healthcare-associated infections can have on individuals and we are committed to promoting effective, high-quality care in a safe environment across all services.
Infection prevention and control services are commissioned across Derby and Derbyshire to provide advice and support for GP practices, care homes and other community providers. The aim is to promote best practice and reduce the risk of infection to our population.
Infection prevention and control teams are working closely with other such teams across the region to ensure processes are in place and required standards are met. Link forums are held for care homes and GP practice nurses to support these areas of work.
Contact the Southern Derbyshire team
Southern Derbyshire is supported by University Hospitals of Derby and Burton NHS Foundation Trust Community IPC team:
- Sally Bestwick - community lead, infection prevention and control Sally.Bestwick@nhs.net
- Donna Foulkes - senior infection prevention and control nurse Donna.Foulkes1@nhs.net
- Kathleen Cox - community infection prevention and control administrator KathleenCox@nhs.net
They are based at London Road Hospital, London Road, Derby, Derbyshire, DE1 2QY, and phone 01332 258 190.
Infection prevention and control care home link forums
The care home infection prevention and control link forum has been established to provide infection prevention and control support to care homes within south Derbyshire. All care homes are encouraged to identify an infection prevention and control lead for their home, who will act as the initial contact point for residents and families, along with other care home staff and visiting professionals, to encourage and support best practice in the care home.
For further information or to book a place at the next meeting please contact the team. Forthcoming meetings:
- Wednesday 1 July 2020, 10am-12 noon - venue to be confirmed
- Wednesday 4 November 2020, 1pm-3pm - venue to be confirmed
Practice nurse infection prevention and control link forums
The practice nurse infection prevention and control link forum aims to meet quarterly to bring together the identified leads for infection prevention and control from GP Practices to promote best practice, quality of care and share knowledge. The infection prevention and control practice links will act as the role model within GP practices and facilitate further learning among colleagues and their individual teams.
- Wednesday 1 July 2020, 1pm – 3pm – venue to be confirmed
- Wednesday 4 November 2020, 10am – 12 noon - venue to be confirmed
Contact the North Derbyshire team
North Derbyshire is supported by Chesterfield Royal Hospital NHS Foundation Trust’s infection prevention and control team. They are based at Chesterfield Royal Hospital, Calow, Chesterfield, Derbyshire, S44 5BL, and phone 01246 513 183.
- CQC Guidance for Providers
- CQC Regulation 12 Safe Care and Treatment
- The Health and Social Care Act 2008: Code of Practice on the prevention and control of infections and related guidance (Department of Health 2015)
- National Evidence Based Guidelines for Preventing Healthcare Associated Infections in NHS Hospitals in England (2014)
- NICE Clinical guideline [CG139] Published date: March 2012 (Last updated: February 2017) Healthcare-associated infections: prevention and control in primary and community care
- Decontamination of linen for health and social care (HTM 01-04) - published 20 March 2013 Last updated 9 June 2016
- Essential Practice for Infection Prevention and Control: Guidance for nursing staff (Royal College of Nursing, Nov 2017)
- Creating a Strategic Focus to Support the Prevention of Infection. RCN statement - (Royal College of Nursing, Nov 2017)
- IPC Information and learning resources for health care staff (Royal College of Nursing, Nov 2017)
- Tools of the Trade: Guidance for Health Care Staff on Glove Use and the Prevention of Contact Dermatitis (Royal College of Nursing, May 2018)
- NHS Improvement: Learning from patient safety
- Health matters: preventing infections and reducing antimicrobial resistance (Public Health England, published 13 November 2017)
- Health Building Note 00-09 - Infection Control in the Built Environment (Department of Health, 2013)
- Health protection in schools and other childcare facilities. A practical guide for staff on managing cases of infectious diseases in schools and other childcare settings (Public Health England, 2017)
- Sharps Injuries - Health and Safety Executive
- Legionella and Legionnaires disease (Health and Safety Executive)
- Managing Legionella in hot and cold water systems (Health and Safety Executive)
- The control of legionella and other infectious agents in spa-pool systems (Health and Safety executive, 2017)
- UK Five Year Antimicrobial Resistance Strategy 2013 to 2018 (Department of Health 2013)
- Start Smart - Then Focus, Antimicrobial Stewardship Toolkit for English Hospitals (Public Health England 2015)
- Prevention and control infection in care homes – an information resource (Department of Health and Health protection Agency 2013)
- Prevention and control infection in care homes – summary for staff (Department of Health and Health Protection Agency 2013)
- Infection Prevention Society