NHS England and NHS Improvement published Host Commissioner guidance to Clinical Commissioning Groups in January 2021. This described a clear expectation that as the local Commissioners we ensure that we have assurances and maintain effective quality surveillance of all Independent Hospitals within our geographical boundaries. This work continues as we transition to become an Integrated Commissioning Board. (ICB)
Host Commissioner guidance relates specifically to maintaining oversight of the quality of care for people with a diagnosis a Learning Disability and/or Autism. However, within Derbyshire we have extended this oversight beyond national guidance to also incorporate the care of people who have a mental health diagnosis admitted to Independent Hospitals in our area. We also work closely with other Host Commissioners when we have placed people outside of Derbyshire.
There are eight Independent Hospitals in Derby/Derbyshire that are caring for people who may have been placed by many different Commissioning Boards into our local area.
You can access national Host Commissioner guidance on the NHS England website.
You can contact us as Host Commissioner at the following email address firstname.lastname@example.org
Our role as Host Commissioner
- Maintain surveillance and oversight of the quality of care at our local Independent Hospitals.
- Be the point of contact to Commissioners placing in our area.
- To be a point of contact and support for Independent Hospital providers located in our area.
- Ensure a coordinated response is in place across other Commissioners, the Local Authority and Regulator to effectively respond to concerns and support quality improvement within Independent Hospitals.
- To triangulate information across Placing Commissioners and stakeholders to inform the level of our oversight and whether this is enhanced.
- Ensure that we never request or accept Patient Identifiable Information because this sits outside of our remit and is held by a person’s local Commissioner funding care.
National guidance expects other Commissioners placing in our area to:
- Talk to us prior to admitting a person into Derby and Derbyshire.
- Retain oversight for the clinical care of people you place in our area and ensure you’re your contingency plans are robust and able to support Independent Hospitals to respond to crisis.
- Talk to us about any quality or governance concerns you identify within Independent Hospitals.
- Collaborate with us where concerns are identified to ensure a unified and supportive approach across placing Commissioners to support Independent Hospitals to maintain quality, mitigate risk and resolve concerns.
Reporting safeguarding concerns
We work very closely with our Local Authority safeguarding Leads to share intelligence about any allegations of abuse or neglect. Should you have any safeguarding concerns or wish to make a safeguarding referral it will be your responsibility as Placing Commissioner to contact the relevant Local Authority. Derby and Derbyshire safeguarding teams will also contact you directly should a local safeguarding concern be raised that involves the person you have placed in Derbyshire.
For any safeguarding concerns about an independent hospital in Derby City please contact Derby City Adult Social Care Safeguarding Adults Team:
- Telephone: 01332 642855
- Online Referral form and additional information about safeguarding is available by visiting the Derby City Council website.
- Email: AdultsMASH@derby.gov.uk
For any safeguarding concerns about an independent hospital in Derbyshire County please contact Call Derbyshire on:
- Telephone: 01629 533190
- Email: email@example.com
- You can read about how to make a safeguarding referral by visiting the Derbyshire Safeguarding Adults website.
How to tell us about a concern
It is important that Commissioners placing in Derbyshire talk to us about any quality or governance concerns they may identify. This will help us triangulate information and also address any identified concerns as Host Commissioner. We also encourage our independent providers to talk to us about concerns that arise.
You can tell us about a concern by completing the following alert form.
Derbyshire Independent Hospitals locations
Elysium: The Limes
- Main Street, Langwith, Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, NG20 9HD.
- Telephone: 01623 745 002
Elysium: Field House
- Chesterfield Road, Shirland, Alfreton, Derbyshire DE44 7DT.
- Telephone: 01773 838 150
Cygnet: Acer Clinic (Upper and Lower House)
- Worksop Road, Chesterfield, Derbyshire, S43 3DN.
- Telephone: 01246 386 090
Cygnet: Storthfield House
- Storth Lane, South Normanton, Alfreton, Derbyshire, DE55 3AA.
- Telephone: 01773 515600
Cygnet: The Views
- 22 Wellington Street, Matlock Derbyshire, DE4 3JP.
- Telephone: 01629 381 004
- Long Lane, Central Drive, Shirebrook, Mansfield, NG20 8BA.
- Telephone: 01623 741 1730
- 100 City Gate, London Road, Derby Derbyshire DE24 8WZ.
- Telephone: 01332 365 434