New Bolsover dentist is open

A new provider of NHS dental services in Bolsover opened its doors to patients on Monday 25 March.

Treeline Dental Care is operating from the premises previously occupied by BUPA at Market Place.

The practice began to accept “expressions of interest” in receiving dental care from 6 March and over recent weeks it has been recruiting and training its staff team.

Now, from Monday 25 March, the practice’s dentists and other clinical staff have begun to treat patients.

Appointments are being offered on the basis of clinical need and priority, with those who need urgent care seen first.

BUPA closed its dental practice on 30 June 2023. Since then NHS Derby and Derbyshire has worked to put in place an interim contract for a new provider. Work is taking place now to procure a long term contract. 

Some former BUPA patients have also been able to receive treatment at nearby practices since July 2023.

Treeline provides both NHS and private dental services and it also provides dental care at three other sites in Nottinghamshire and Lincolnshire.

Treeline hopes to start routine check-ups around June 2024.

Clive Newman, director of primary care for NHS Derby and Derbyshire, said: “Since BUPA closed its practice we have been able to fund other dentists within reasonable distance of Bolsover to carry out NHS dentistry, but that was always a short term alternative.

“In the meantime we invited dental providers to bid for a new contract at the Bolsover site. The process of selection and setting up contracts does take some time, but we are very pleased to have appointed Treeline on an interim basis and that they are now open.

“It is no secret that NHS dentistry has its challenges, but we are pleased that in this instance we have been able to bring and NHS service back to an area that had lost it. We will now work towards putting in place a long term contract for this local area.”

Jimmey Palahey, clinical director of Treeline Dental Care, added: “We are looking forward to continuing world-class dental care in Bolsover and serving the community into the future. Please be patient while our team works through the pre-existing lists and expressions of interest.”

If you were a patient at the previous BUPA practice, or you live in the Bolsover area and would like to receive dental care at Treeline Dental Care, please read the information below to find out more about what to do next.

Q I need to see an NHS dentist for urgent care. What do I do?

A: Treeline Dental Care will only be providing care for dental urgent care and emergencies to start with. If you have a dental emergency please request treatment by providing your contact details by completing the form available on the practice’s website or calling  01246 690500, or visiting in person at 29 Market Place, Bolsover, S44 6PN, during opening hours.

Q I was a patient at the BUPA practice and I would like to receive routine NHS dental care again. What do I need to do?

A: If you used to receive dental care at the former BUPA practice and you want at patients interested in having a routine check-up or non-emergency care you can also complete the form available on the practice’s website.

We will record your request, but please note that you will not be invited for an appointment at this time. You will be contacted when the practice is ready to begin routine work, which we hope will be in June 2024.

Q Will patients who express their interest first be given priority?

A: Appointments will be offered on the basis of clinical priority. Appointments are not allocated on a “first come, first served” basis. There is no benefit in being the “first” to provide your contact details to the practice.

This applies to former BUPA patients who have been receiving routine care at other practices since BUPA withdrew their service.

Q I was a patient at the BUPA practice before it closed, will my details be transferred to the new dental practice?

 A: We plan to transfer previous patient data from BUPA’s records to Treeline’s systems. However, this may take some time to complete, so if you wish to leave your contact details again then please do so.

Q I wasn’t a patient at the BUPA practice, or any other practice, what can I do?

A: Anyone who has a dental emergency can contact the practice by either completing the form available on the practice’s website. This includes patients who weren’t previously a patient with BUPA.

 If you are interested in having a routine dental check-up, you can also complete the form available on the practice’s website, even if you weren’t previously a patient with BUPA. Your details will be noted but you will not be invited for an appointment at this time. You will be contacted when the practice is ready to begin routine work, which we hope will be in June 2024.


Q What do you class as urgent or emergency dental treatment?

A: You will be asked some questions about your need for dental treatment during the process of requesting treatment. These questions will help us to triage patients who require urgent or emergency treatment.

Q What are the opening times of the practice?

A: Monday to Friday from 9am to 6pm.

Q Will Treeline offer both NHS and private treatment?

A: Yes, the provider will offer both NHS and private treatment options.

Q What services will be offered at the practice?

 A: A full range of general and cosmetic dentistry

Q After BUPA closed, I went to another practice, can I move back to the Bolsover practice?

A: Yes, you can do this by providing your contact details. However, if you have received a dental check up in the previous 6-12 months you may wish to wait until you would next be due a check up and then contact the practice.

Q What if I need to see a dentist before this practice opens?

A: If you are in pain and feel you have an urgent dental need, please telephone NHS 111 where you will be asked a series of questions and provided with information how to manage your condition or you may be sent to a dentist who can treat patients with urgent needs.

You may wish to visit for a range of information from how to treat toothache, when to seek help if it is not improving and links to find a dental practice near you.

Q Will I have to pay?

A: If you usually pay when you visit a dentist, this will still apply. 

You do not have to pay for NHS dental services if you are:

  • Under 18 years of age or under 19 and in full-time education.
  • Pregnant or had a baby in the last 12 months.
  • Being treated in an NHS hospital and your treatment is carried out by the hospital dentist (you may have to pay for dentures or bridges however).
  • Receiving low-income benefits or are under 20 and a dependant of someone receiving low-income benefits.

If you or your spouse (including civil partner) receive Income Support, Income Related Employment and Support Allowance, Income-based Job Seeker’s Allowance, Pension Credit Guarantee Credit, Universal Credit (in certain circumstances).

You can receive free NHS dental treatment if you are entitled to or are named on:

  • A valid NHS tax credit exemption certificate
  • A valid HC2 certificate (for people on low income)
  • A valid maternity exemption certificate and;
  • People named on NHS Certificate for partial help (HC3).

People on low income can include some students and pensioners.

You will be asked to show proof that you do not have to pay for all or part of your NHS treatment and sign a form to confirm you do not have to pay.