Coronavirus: Information in accessible formats
This page has resources relating to the needs of specific patient groups and in accessible formats such as easy read, sign language and Makaton.
The Health Education England website includes:
- Coronavirus resources in accessible format, such as easy read and British Sign Language
- Coronavirus resources for older people
- Coronavirus resources for children and young people.
A useful guide to accessing services during the coronavirus outbreak in plain English can be found from NHS England.
Coronavirus: Information in British Sign Language
- SignHealth are committed to making sure coronavirus information is available in British Sign Language. Content is updated daily
- If you feel ill and/or think you have symptoms of Covid-19, please contact NHS 111
- Call 18001 111 using Relay UK or use the BSL service from InterpreterNow. View the video on how to use that service
- You can find Covid-19 news from BSL Zone
- During the Covid-19 pandemic Communication Unlimited are providing BSL interpreting services for deaf people, assisting with telephone triage, and appointments via a videophone service liaising between the deaf person and the health professional. Phone 01332 369920 and SMS/Glide/What’sApp on 07812 300280, Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm. Email email@example.com
- Joined Up Care Derbyshire has produced a series of videos for public and patients in British Sign Language providing information on how services are responding to the Covid-19 pandemic - and what the changes mean for patients. The videos, shown below, cover primary care services, general practice (GPs), hospital and emergency care, community pharmacy, dentists, and eye care and opticians.
Coronavirus: Information for people with learning disabilities
- This NHS Trust YouTube site has 14 videos designed for people with learning disabilities to explain coronavirus and related issues.
- NHS England has published an easy read guide to accessing services.
- Public Health England has published an easy read guide about looking after your feelings and body.
Beyond Words is a charity that provides books and training to support people who find pictures easier to understand than words. Whether supporting somebody with a learning disability or communication difficulty, their resources empower people through pictures. Beyond Words have created free resources to support people through the Covid-19 pandemic:
- Beating the virus - a short wordless story that helps people understand what to do if you have coronavirus and how to keep yourself and those who you care about safe
- Good days and bad days during lockdown - a wordless booklet with scenes addressing social distancing, lockdown, mental health and daily routines
- Jack plans ahead for coronavirus - a guide for family and carers on end-of-life care planning in the context of coronavirus
- When someone dies from coronavirus - a guide for family and carers on how to respond when somebody dies from coronavirus.
Maternity information in different languages
Coronavirus: Information for children and young people
There is a NHS fact sheet (opens document) on Coronavirus for children and young people to help them understand what Coronavirus is, the importance of hand washing and how to help stop the virus spreading. This was developed by the Alder Hey Children's NHS Foundation Trust. The Trust has also made an animated video on the topic.
Gov.uk has published guidance on supporting children and young people’s mental health and wellbeing during the Coronavirus outbreak.
Coronavirus: Information in different languages
Information about coronavirus is now available in many languages. Please visit the Doctors of the World website.
Joined Up Care Derbyshire has produced a series of posters in different languages raising awareness of the health and wellbeing resources on our website in relation to the Covid-19 pandemic. The eight posters include languages such as Urdu, Punjabi and Polish and have been produced in order for community groups to promote the online resources to their service users.
- Arabic poster
- Kurdish Sorani poster
- Latvian poster
- Polish poster
- Punjabi poster
- Russian poster
- Slovak poster
- Urdu poster
- English poster